Many of us would like to spend more time with people who are important to us but sometimes ‘life’ gets in the way and makes this difficult. Nurturing our relationships can help us feel happier and more secure and give us a greater sense of purpose.
Strong relationships with family and friends can allow us to share our feelings and know that we are understood. They provide an opportunity to share positive experiences, give emotional support as well as a chance to support others.
- Make time each day to connect with your healthy support networks. This might include ‘family time’ that is fixed each day /week or simple check ins with other important people in your network to maintain a sense of connection.
- Arrange a day out with friends you haven’t seen for a while. Do something fun or relaxing with them.
- Switch off the TV and play a game with your children, read them a book or just talk.
- Acknowledge the importance of informal connections at work.
- Check in with a friend or family member who needs support or company.
- Have a coffee or lunch with a work colleague.
- Join a social group.
- Take up a team sport or activity.
DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this page is to be used as a guide and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Any health concerns should be discussed with a qualified general practitioner.